Shiseido: Artistic pioneers from day one
Shiseido has fused art and beauty with science and consistent innovation since its birth, presenting an artistic sensibility which continues to be recognised to this day.
Initiated by the son of the Founder, Shinzo Fukuhara, an artistic movement commenced in 1915. His vision formed the long-celebrated Camellia flower logo and just one year later, his creative spirit inspired him to shape one of the first ever Advertising Creation Departments. The work produced by this creative group is considered legendary among designers to this day.
In 1919, The Shiseido Gallery in Ginza, Tokyo marked yet another movement and served for young artists to show their work. This was the beginning of Shiseido’s long history as a patron of the arts and nearly a century after its opening; it has become the oldest non-profit gallery in Japan.
The Shiseido Art House opened in 1978 in Kakegawa City, Shizuoka. Designed by Taniguchi Yoshio, who also designed MOMA in New York, it consists of works by painters, sculptors, and craftspeople who have previously exhibited at the Shiseido Gallery. The artistry of The Shiseido Art House itself was recognized in 2010 when it won the Japan Institute of Architects’ 9th JIA 25 Year Prize for “the people who contributed to cultivating such a beautiful building,’’ amongst other merits.
Shiseido Corporate Museum was inaugurated in 1992 to mark the 120th anniversary, attracting some 25,000 people every year. The collection includes packaging, products, advertising and samples of just about everything Shiseido has created over the company’s long history.
From the curvature of the cosmetic casing which reflects the shape of the Camellia, to the sleek limited editions and highly tested, first class packaging – April 17 2012 gave due recognition at the award ceremony for the Luxe Pack Art of Packaging Award, New York.’